Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Things That We Do For Our Children, And Our Grandchildren

The things that we do for our children, and our grandchildren. It was the grandson’s birthday, so we spent the day at Chuck E. Cheese. Not the whole day of course, but a good portion of it.
It’s fun when you first get there. The blinking lights on all of the games, is not something that you see everyday, so it is pleasant to the eyes. After a while, though, it all begins to blend in.

I love to play the little bowling game that they have. I must say that I am pretty good at it too. The only problem is that a lot of times, I don't get to finish my game, because as close as the lanes are, a child next to me, ends up playing one of my balls, on their lane. There's not much you can do about that, because they are the young ones, and they have quick hands.

I got to re-visit my childhood on the large rocking horse that they have. I fit comfortably in it, and rode it with everyone that I went with. As long as it didn’t rock too much forward, I was okay. Personally, at this stage of life, I like to keep my feet on the ground.

I’m fine while eating some pizza, and seeing Chuck E. Cheese dance, the first time. I had to join in the fun, and ended up waving to him, many times after that. After the third hour things for me begin to wind down, and I had an urge to flee, but the kids and grandkids, have only begun.

Lucky for me I found a table to sit at, that was near a game, that featured Elvis. It was one of those coin games, that drag the coins, almost to the end. I was close enough to hear Jailhouse Rock and All Shook Up, over and over again.
Please note: repetiton is not bad, when it is something that you enjoy. Myprevious seat had involved listening to the ABC’s sang over and over again. That seat had to be replaced, as it was not covered under something that I’d like to hear over and over again.

“One more coin, please,” is also heard over and over again. The kids and grandkids, aren’t going to ask for anymore, after the last one they get. The only problem is that, there is no last one. I have become an endless pit of delivering coins.

Okay, we’re on hour four, and my nerves are almost depleted. I had been here for a long time, and I’ve promised myself that I will never return again. Of course, I know that is not the truth, for somewhere in my future is another 4 or 5 hours scheduled at this same location. I’m just hoping that it is at a date, that gives me time to recuperate. The things that we do for our children and grandchildren. Without them, I wouldn’t get to test my patience. Without them I wouldn’t get to experience hundreds of children, running, playing, and inserting coins. Now who would want to miss that?

Life is filled with adventure, and as I am writing this, I know that I am ready for that next adventure.The new dinosaur park in East Montgomery County is in the planning stages. I can see myself there for 5, 6, or 7 hours. I'm tough. I can do it.

"Adventures in children's land-
And patience, go hand in hand."

Mary Elizabeth Rumsey
Porter, Texas

No comments: